Thursday, July 1, 2010

Potty Mouth

The other day, as I was making dinner with my child as close to me as she could possibly be, I opened the refrigerator and knocked the door to the butter (why do fridges have a special place for butter) on the floor. I didn’t say a word; I just bent down to pick it up. Bird asked, as serious as all get out, “Can I say shit?”

I wasn’t really sure what to say. I wanted to burst out laughing. I was mad at myself for probably being the one to teach her that word. In a way, I was proud of her for asking. She definitely knows how to use the word. She was being helpful. In the end, I told her, “No, that’s an adult word. You can’t use it.” Then I went into the bathroom, turned on the fan and laughed until I cried. I’m so not an adult.

2 comments:

  1. Way to keep it together! I'm so not looking forward to those days. I don't think I'll be able to keep a straight face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I yelled "Ah Fuck" at an old lady at Wal-Mart on Saturday because she ran into my hand. I hope she ran into the bathroom and cried.

    ReplyDelete