Monday, May 10, 2010

I Promise to Love, Honor and Fall Asleep On the Couch Nightly

We are very much creatures of habit. We have our nightly rituals. We eat, clean up the kitchen, bathe our child, maybe take a walk if the weather is nice and then congregate on the couch. The couch is most definitely our gathering place. We have been embracing the lazy for many years...

This is where several things will happen. I will probably watch something while playing on the internet. Bread will watch whatever, maybe read (with earplugs in because he cannot focus on anything if the television is on-he will watch ANYTHING). I may also, or instead, read a magazine or book because I am capable of doing two things at once. Sometimes Bread watches TV. He usually lets me watch whatever because he says he hates television. Except in the summer and fall when baseball is on - he is a fan. Actually, I am too, so this works well. Go Tigers! He will probably doze because he works lots of hours and has a problem where, if he is not moving, he will fall asleep. We have conversation. One of us (not me) is always very distracted since, if the television is on, he cannot look away.

As I’ve mentioned, many, many times, I don’t really talk to many people during the day. I have a couple friends I converse with, but one is usually at work and the other is a SAHM of two, so her time is limited. Many times, I can’t wait for Bread to get home so I can chase him around telling him about this or that, or my newest scheme. Bread, on the other hand, has been around people all day. On a typical day, he’s been up since five or six in the morning and doesn’t get home from work until six in the evening. He’s tired. He probably wants to be left alone (not really probably). I try to be understanding of this but, sometimes, I just need to talk. He listens, mostly and responds as necessary because he tries to understand the isolation of being a SAHM.

Also, who am I kidding, we are an old married couple. We don’t have a ton to say to each other every day. We’re comfortable in our relationship; we know most everything there is to know about each other, aside from all of the daily happenings. It’s nice.

Because we are creatures of habit, as I mentioned, we are always together if we are both home. We have a living room and a family room. Bread has a nice garage. Our basement is finished and, could potentially become a lovely man-cave. Alas, if we are both home, we’re in the same room. I never really feel the need to be away from my man if he’s home. We like to be together (try not to vomit).

So, when Bread goes to bed, generally, I go with him. It’s usually late anyway, since he requires about four hours of sleep every night. I like to read until I’m falling asleep. This is when Bread becomes talkative. It’s like as soon as I open my book or magazine he opens his mouth. EVERY NIGHT! Always! I promise. This is when he wants to discuss the most important parts of his day or our life. He will wait! Until we are in bed! Winding down! Then it’s, “I was thinking maybe I should invest…”WTF? No! No! You just sat with me for four hours and did nothing but doze and stare blankly at the television with earplugs in! Do not start talking to me now! This is not fair! We are going to sleep! I was eagerly waiting for you to talk to me before! Not now!

The best part is that he knows he does this. He so knows. He apologizes. He is relentless. He does it every night! Right now he is thinking about what he’s going to spring on me tonight. I can see the wheels turning as I’m furiously typing this. He’s holding the remote, pointed at the baseball game, with his eyes closed but he’s plotting. I know it! I know! He’s going to ask me where I’d like to be buried or if we should remodel the kitchen or can he buy a luxury car. I know! I know! I know!

The other night, when I reminded him that he was doing it again, he said, “I’m like a fish. The TV is my shiny thing. I cannot look away. Therefore, I can’t make conversation with you when it’s on.”

Habit lovers that we are, I can see this happening for the next sixty years or so.  That's fine.  I will get mine.  I think I'm going to start freezing his underwear when he falls asleep too early. 

No comments:

Post a Comment