Wednesday, May 5, 2010

What’s for Dinner, Bitches: Installment Four

In honor of today being one of my favorite holidays, Cinco de Mayo, we’re going to try this recipe from Rachael Ray. By the way, my favorite holidays are all the ones that revolve around food. That includes just about every holiday, so there you go.

Here is the part where I go off on a little side note.  I feel like I have to...For five years, while I was in college, I worked in a Mexican restaurant. It was in an industrial park and across the street from my college so we served lots of business people and students. Every year, for Cinco de Mayo we had a huge party which included a tent in the parking lot and perhaps a band or music. The work day began at about 10 AM and didn’t end until 12 AM. Hopefully, if you had a good day, you made bank that day. I almost always did. I was cute back then! I mean, I was a stellar waitress.

My friend, Malbie, reminded me last night about the occasion when our good friend came to visit me at work with her on Cinco de Mayo. He proceeded to get extremely drunk. Over served! He then, got upset about something ridiculous (I don't recall what) and declared he was walking home. It was about 6 miles back to our apartment where he was staying. Needless to say, he did not make it home. Instead, he got picked up by campus police and taken to the local hospital. This is the same friend who, while peeing in public on his 21st birthday, informed a police officer that he was, “Taking a piss! What does it look like?” While, I’m not planning on getting arrested today (not planning but, stranger things have happened), I do intend to have a couple margaritas; I feel like I ought to toast our good friend! I owe it to him! It’s been 10 years! OMG, we are old!  I don't know anybody who has been arrested lately!  This is yet another definite sign of old age!  Shit!

Anyway, nostalgia aside, I love Mexican food. It’s probably my all-time favorite so I am definitely using today as an excuse to make some. I’m trying this particular recipe because I have all the ingredients and I won’t have to go back to the grocery store for the sixth time in a week. Normally, I’d probably do something a bit fancier but, I cannot go back to the grocery store. I fucking hate it there.

Last week I said I was going to try this recipe from Real Simple. I lied. Well, I didn’t lie but things just did not work out and the pork ended up in the freezer. I will try it soon and when I do I will let you know how it comes out. Now, go get some Taco Bell or something!

5 comments:

  1. haha funny story...Am Mexican and i made hotdogs yesterday!! But i am a good cook (at least all our american friends think)Love to cook authentic Mexican food...if u were closer i could make an awesome dish for you that u would love. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keep jicama in your fridge?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering the same thing about the jicama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosa-I've heard you're a good cook! Maybe next time you're in town we'll make you cook!

    No! I did not have jicama in my fridge! I left that part out! I skipped the salad and made my own. But, I could have probably used an apple instead...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually keep a jicama or two in my car, or I've got one rattling around in my pocket with the loose change.

    ReplyDelete