Monday, June 14, 2010

The Way We Are

Back in the day when I was richer and thinner, I used to constantly buy new clothes. I read tons of magazines specifically for the fashion advice and loved any reason to dress up. I never really had a specific style icon; I tried lots of different looks. When I look back on it, I don’t know that I was ever really as fashionable as I believed I was. I have had many “what were you thinking” moments. I suppose we all have. I still love all that stuff. My current style resembles Jennifer Garner’s (and I don’t mean the red carpet Jennifer Garner-I’m talking the jeans and t-shirt version), if any celebrity. I’m okay with this because it’s comfortable and the older I get the more comfortable I want to be. Sigh.

My tot has become quite the little fashionista. I don’t believe I forced this on her. She has to have a choice from her wardrobe every day. This means: she has to approve of what I’ve selected for her. She always has to pick out her own panties. This is a huge deal. She likes me to polish her nails. She believes she puts make up on daily. She must have the final say in what shoes she’ll wear (did I mention she has nearly as many shoes as I do). She loves her sparkly Converse Mary Jane’s. I find it to be fascinating that, while she has many items she loves, she does not wish to only wear the beloved things. She isn’t demanding to wear the same shirt each day; it’s as if she knows that would be too much of a good thing.

She has her own style icons already. Until last week, when she got her first haircut, her hair was down the middle of her back. Her favorite hairstyle was twin braids ala Judy Garland in the Wizard of Oz, or Rainbow, as Bird calls her. She’s also a fan of every Disney Princess but specifically Belle, Cinderella and Tiana. There are many days when she requests a “beautiful gown and dress” like Belle or Cinderella or Tiana…

As I’ve mentioned before it’s great to see a little piece of yourself in your child. Raising children brings out the vanity in us all, I suppose. Like many women, I always wanted to have a little girl to do girlie things with. Now I do. This is one of the great parts of parenthood; the part you dream about before you have a kid. The type of thing you can envision when you think about what your life will be like once (if) you have children. What they don’t tell you is that the little fashion lover/hunter/sports fanatic you once dreamed of, may climb into your bed at 6 AM, on a Monday morning, proceed to throw up all over your bed and you won’t mind on little bit. Good morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment