Tuesday, April 6, 2010

War! This Is War, I say!

Last week, I took Bird to the library. She was sitting at one of the tables across from an approximately sixty year-old woman and her two grandchildren. When I told her it was time to go, she threw a mini-tantrum. It lasted all of ten seconds. I talked her out of it, thank God. The grandma actually recoiled when Bird started her fit. I just sort of shrugged my shoulders and walked away.

By the time we got to our car, I was mad. Who did that woman think she was? Honestly? She obviously had at least one child of her own, and, based on who she had with her at the library; she has at least two grandchildren. None of your kids ever did that? You’re a liar if that’s what you are going to claim.

I get that listening to a tantrum is not fun. If you are shopping, dining out or relaxing at a coffee shop, the last thing you want to hear is somebody’s screaming child. I get that. One thing I’ve learned is that once your child throws a fit in public the other patrons treat you like you’ve got the plague.  The employees act as though, by waiting on you, they are going to catch whatever it is that your child has.  How about some sympathy? Because I guarantee you’ve probably been in this situation, or you probably will someday, despite the fact that you know your kids will never behave like that! Believe me, I know, I was you three years ago. It’s inevitable! I promise I’m about to pay for my shit and get the hell out.

And, people are quick to start with the frowns and scowls. I am not one of those people who allows their child to howl all thru the library or the grocery store. We knock that shit off ASAP. Once I can get it down to a dull moan I carry on with my business. But if you Google that shit the “experts” will tell you to leave. Right! Because it only took me 30 minutes to fill up my grocery cart and I have to feed my family tonight, so I’ll just leave and come back in a bit. Screw the experts. What a bunch of assholes!  They obviously have no children, or make enough money to pay others to care for them and teach them to behave like people.

That’s it exactly! I’m trying to teach her to behave like a person. Give me a couple seconds to discuss with my less-than-three- year-old how to act grown up. Her having a fit does not make me a bad mother (I know this most days, but on a bad day forget it). What would make me a bad mother is giving in to whatever it is she’s screaming about. Usually, it’s because there is something she wants. So I should just give it to her because she started to scream as a means of getting it? No way. I’m so not doing that.

So, given all my gallant efforts to teach my child how to act like a human being, some random lady at the library, who I will see again because she brings her grandkids to the Tot Reading Hour , wants to make it blatantly obvious that she is judging us? I can think of thousands of times an “adult” has acted more repulsively than my child with her tiny fit. How about the jerks, who disgustingly hover over the free samples at Costco, coughing and sneezing? The lady cut in front of me at Bath and Body Works the other day? You already know about the strawberry thieves.  I guess what I’m saying is: overall, my child is not worse than many, many so-called adults. I think all moms need to join together and not scowl at each other during times of tantrum. A united front is what we need! Jessie Domestic, fighting Judgmental Assholes one blog post at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment