Thursday, March 18, 2010

What was for Dinner, Bitches

Tonight I made Creamy Barley with Tomatoes and Greens from my February issue of Real Simple magazine. Bread is a man. He likes meat. I never consider making a meal for him without meat unless it has beans. But, Bread was working late so I figured I'd go for it.

I really liked it but I would consider maybe using chicken stock in place of the water. Maybe I just did not add enough salt but it seemed a little lacking in the flavor department. I suppose I could have added more salt after but I tend to shy away from it because that's not something you can correct once you've added too much.

I also think it needed some protein. I thought it would feel more filling because of the barley. I sort of had that bottomless pit thing where I felt like I had not even eaten after I was done (perhaps that is because I am, actually, a bottomless pit). If you're going to try this, I would recommend adding some meat (roars like a man and pounds chest). I was thinking maybe shrimp, turkey sausage or some grilled chicken.

Anyway, overall I liked this recipe. It says it takes 30 minutes. I love that it actually took 30 minutes. Usually, recipes always take longer than they say they do. I love quick, easy and tasty things. I would give this recipe a seven.

No comments:

Post a Comment